This month I have a milestone birthday. I’ve renewed my driver’s license, enrolled in Medicare (though I’m deferring my Social Security for as long as I can), and I’m beginning to collect my teacher’s pension.
I’ve been around the block a few times in my sixty-five years on earth. I’ve learned a lot of stuff–the hard way, through trial and error. Let me share my accumulated wisdom with you. Indulge me; I’m old. Maybe you’ll learn from me and avoid making the same mistakes I made.
Photograph by Dark Dwarf
- I don’t know as much as I used to. I’ve forgotten a lot.
- Your life will never be trouble-free.
- Be happy for other people’s good fortune. Don’t know how to do that? Smile. Say, “I’m so happy for you!”
- No matter how hard circumstances get, they become more bearable with time.
- When you screw up, apologize. Without making excuses.
- If you…
View original post 1,246 more words